Sunday, September 5, 2010

I Miss You My Hawaii...

Emery Room 315
5 September 2010:


Today it's been around the low low 70's and high 60's. Kind of nice, a little chilly. My dorm mates tease me because it'll just get "worse" from here.

I miss Hawaii, but only a little. I miss the people more. :/

I miss senbei crackers and taro chips and dried aku. I miss li hing powder and people that smile back at you when you smile at them. I miss Jenna and Ri and Christian and Nani and my family. I miss the Highlander and the cats, all five of the silly things. I miss Nana and Mom and Wayne and Dad. I miss Connie and Jennifer and James and Mary and Shawnie and Kristine. I miss Mr. Tokuhama (and am sad I didn't get a chance to say good-bye) and Mr. Yoshimoto and Dr. G and Mrs. Donnelly and Mr. Nishizawa. I miss the mongoose and the debates of the plural form of their name. I miss Pearlridge and Ala Moana and Windward Mall. I miss Aiea Chop Suey and Chinese food and Youngs Kal-Bee and Kabuki and kulolo and poi and Hawaiian food. I miss Orange Ears and Uncle Allan and Lance and Wanda and Anuhea and Joshua and Malia and Keola and Alika and Michelle and all my uncles and all my aunties. I miss chlorine-free water and our tiny kitchen. I miss my mural in my room and my paints under my desk. I miss the dry-erase board Sasha drew on and the Inverter and the way the clock sings at every hour. I miss Children's Ark and the kids there and Aunty Teri (bless her heart, she works so hard!) and Aunty Annie and Lisa Lee (though I think that's not her name anymore) and Kristen Skelton and Aunty SaraLee and Jo and Kristy and Uncle Jim and Aunty Chondra and Uncle Alan. I miss Jerard (though I hardly saw him) and Ashley and Angel and Jewel and AJ (though I suspect he never really liked me).

I better go back to the cool air and the humid dorm and the murmur of voices outside my window. Back to the only view of the beach being the calendar on my wall and the only way to see my friends being through Skype and through my map. Back to oak trees and acorns and squirrels and cicadas that whistle and hiss all the time. Back to alien bugs and thin air and pale skies and only a few dots of clouds throughout the day. Back to classes of 100+ students and forgotten meals and dorms across the dining hall. Back to dry books and dryer homework.

But even though I miss all this, I am not homesick. Weird.

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment