Thursday, February 10, 2011

Things Erin Learned Today...

10 February 2011
Emery Room E315:


Had a sax lesson today with Alex. It was a lot of fun. Before that I had two classes which we incredibly uneventful. Except for the second one because the vents in the room tend to make a weird whistling-hissing noise that sounds like aliens are in the room. And he always shows us the weirdest videos - today it was what not to do on an exam (how to fail a test with dignity) because our programming exam is on Monday (Valentine's Day, joy).

So, here are some of the funny things I've learned today:

-Playing a B to a D is like blowing air into a balloon

-"You need to blow more. More air! More air!" ~Alex

-"I have no idea where you got this habit, but you need to stop biting!" ~Alex

-"I have no idea why, but whenever I sing you the part you can play it like five times better than before." ~Alex

-"Did you hear that?! Did you hear that?!" "Uh...yeah..." "You heard the difference, right?" *nod* "That was me doing it on purpose. I played a little flat and shitty and you adjusted to it! I mean, that's a good thing - it's great! You need to be able to do that while playing in the group." ~Alex

-according to Chuck Smith, our programming professor, the C++ compiler has bowels ("...in the bowels of the C++ compiler...")

-(funny quote) "If Marching Band was easy, they'd call it your mom."

-I need to breathe more

-My mouthpiece is like a Tootsie-pop. No one likes the center and biting it would just hurt my teeth. I can only lick the reed with my tongue but if I bite it then I'll get the icky inside part that no one likes.

-I bit my mouthpiece hard enough to leave indentations and little dents in it.

-I consistently confuse the notes for E and F (whether high or low)

-I don't have the attention span to keep count - I play by listening to whoever is playing around me

-I need to breathe and blow more air into the sax

-I need to wear a scarf

-Candy-grams from Kappa Kappa Psi are a dollar each (I bought one for each of my friends and decided to be creepy, leave them a message of " :) " and signed by "E10" for those in my rank and "E" for the rest of my friends)

Well, that's all I can remember.

Jya!

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment